Monday 28 March 2011

Book Review: CHECKOUT: A LIFE ON THE TILLS BY ANNA SAM

Genre:  True Stories
Published by:  Gallic Books
Pages:  174
My Rating:  7/10

About the Book:
Anna Sam spent 8 years as a checkout girl in France.  This book is a witty look at what it’s really like to work in a supermarket: the relentless grind and less-than-perfect working conditions, along with people-watching and encounters with every kind of customer from the bizarre to the downright rude.

If you’ve ever wondered what life is like on the other side of the checkout as you buy your weekly shopping, then wonder no more as Anna Sam talks to you as if you were applying for the job yourself.

I learnt that supermarkets in France don’t supply their customers with free bags anymore, unlike the UK where they’re given out every day in their thousands and then thrown carelessly away, cluttering up the rubbish dumps.

I also discovered what the three most common questions the till operators are asked, and which European country uses the most toilet rolls!  Oh yes, this book is full of gems like this.

I quite enjoyed her easy style of writing and short paragraphs with titles such as ‘Embarrassing Items’ and ‘My Till, My Love’.  
But I started to get a little bored about ¾ of the way through and I was glad it was just a short book (only 174 pages).  It is a unique and very quirky read and there were some funny parts.

Even though Anna worked in France, I’m sure it is equally relevant wherever it is set, as I’m sure retail workers can identify with the many amusing, awkward and downright rude customers!

I must thank Gallic Books for sending me this book to review - you can read a sampler chapter on their website here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...