Tuesday 30 December 2008

Book Review: Santa Cruise by Mary Higgins Clark

Synopsis
Alvirah Meehan, the lottery winner turned amateur sleuth, and her husband Willy, private detective Regan Reilly, her new husband Jack, and Regan's parents are all guests on the Royal Mermaid's maiden voyage, the Santa Cruise. The ship's passengers include members of the Oklahoma Readers and Writers group - who are planning a mystery seminar dedicated to a Ghost of Honour, the late Left Hook Louie - as well as assorted other charitable folk all planning on a restful post-Christmas vacation. What the guests don't know is that two escaping criminals have been smuggled on board. The hoped-for tranquility quickly vanishes when a terrified mystery fan swears she has spotted the Ghost of Honour in the ship's chapel, and soon after - while a storm develops outside - an attempt is made on the life of a feeble passenger. As the Royal Mermaid sails on through troubled waters, Alvirah, Regan and Jack are uncovering clues that lead them to dangerous criminals.

Well, I was looking forward to reading this - I've never read any of Mary Higgins Clark's books and I'd heard that she was good. BUT, I have to say that I just couldn't finish it.

I just found it very disappointing and boring. I didn't care about any of the characters and there were so many of them! I didn't know who was who.

All in all, it was a complete waste of my time even reading 3/4 of it.

I do have another Mary Higgins Clark book to read (You Belong To Me) so I hope that that's much better.

2 comments:

  1. I've not read Santa Cruise, but have read You Belong to Me and I have to say I would consider it mediocre! I hope you get some entertainment value from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I'll probably put it further down my reading list now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...